Saturday 14 July 2012

Grilled Halloumi with Fresh Tomato and Mint, served on Pita


There are a few things in life that I really can’t stand, late buses, spitting in the street, exams, that sort of thing. The flavour of raw tomato is another... or so I thought. Ben will tell anyone who’ll listen that I’m one of the most pickiest girls in the world, but really I’m not that bad. I do, however, have very particular requirements on a number of things, coffee for example, and now, it would appear, raw tomatoes. Because, for the first time in forever I ate a raw tomato and didn’t screw my face up at it. Brilliant. Well not quite, the special requirement is that it’s a firm, bright red Greek tomato, preferably eaten next to a pool or by the beach. I had hoped that any old tomato would do, but like good coffee, the alternative really doesn’t come close. 

The tomato in this recipe, I’m sad to say, didn’t quite meet my exacting standards, but I’m pretty sure anyone normal would like it just fine, and placed alongside all the other ingredients this dish is a real treat, simple to make and gorgeously vibrant in colour. 

Serves One as a lunch, or Two as a starter
8 thick slices of Halloumi
half a firm tasty tomato, cut into 8 slices
2 tsp dried oregano
1-2 Pita breads
small handful of fresh mint leaves
a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
  1. Place the halloumi slices onto a baking tray or griddle pan (depending on which you have) and sprinkle with oregano and a little olive oil. Grill, or griddle, until golden brown. 
  2. To assemble, place a heated pita in the centre of the plate, and alternate the tomato and halloumi, creating a fan effect around the bread. 
  3. Drizzle with olive oil and scatter with mint leaves. 

3 comments:

  1. I love grilled halloumi and they're so good with tomato salad. Sorry to hear the tomatoes used weren't up to your standard :)
    Congrats on your graduation next week! Hope all goes well! And no, you won't trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not familiar with halloumi and would like to learn how to cook it. I have tasted it before and it is quite interesting.
    thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at grilled halloumi! Swoon! Strangely I've never made it for myself before, but that will soon be changing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...