Thursday 19 April 2012

Mini Greek Style Spinach and Feta Pies

























If you’ve been following the blog for a while you may have noticed that I have a pretty serious love for the Greek Islands. I love the landscape, the weather, the people and of course the food!! Deliciously simple and fresh, Greek cuisine echoes all the things I Iove about the country, and although I don’t think I’ll ever be able to recreate the feeling of sitting in a sun drenched taverna by the sea, I’ve done my best here. 



The day before I left to go home for the Easter holidays I had an epic cooking session, making the Marathon bars from a few posts back, a healthy seed filled brown loaf, as well as a huge Greek themed feast. This consisted of a starter of homemade tapenade and tzatziki with Mini Spinach and Feta Pies, followed by a main of Chicken Souvlaki and Herby Lemony fries, and finally a dessert of Baklava. Unfortunately I didn’t make it to the dessert, the first two courses were too filling for me that day!!
Chicken Souvlaki with Lemony Herby Fries






For the Spinach and Feta Pies I scouted around the internet searching for the general components of this Greek classic. Generally made into one big round pie, I decided to adapt the recipe to make more manageable mini pies, that wouldn’t look out of place at a dinner party. These pies are hugely simple to make and although the filling is made up of only three ingredients, they are fabulously tasty. Sometimes simple really is best!! 

Makes 4 mini pies
150g spinach leaves
100g feta cheese, crumbled
1 egg, beaten
approx. 1/2 250g pack filo pastry
  1. First prepare the spinach by wilting in a large pan with a couple tablespoons of water. Leave to cool in a sieve before roughly chopping. Place in bowl with the cheese and beaten egg, and mix well.
  2. Unroll the pastry carefully, and cut length ways down the middle, and then into squares (approximately six per sheet, they should be about 15cm square). Brush each square liberally with olive oil. Drape oil side down into the muffin tin compartments (I used four compartments spaced away from one another to ensure there wasn’t overlap), push the pastry down carefully so that they line each compartment, and then repeat the process until you have 3 or 4 layers of pastry in each compartment. Spoon over the filling, and then place one further square of pastry on top. Pull the pastry up around the filling, and scrunch together to make a pie. Brush the tops with a little more oil.
  3. Heat oven to 180C. Cook the pies for around 30 mins until the pastry is crispy and golden. Serve with salad and tzatziki. 

5 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous. Perfect for a dinner party. Thanks for sharing. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look lovely...and have the benefit of being just about bitesize...which means you can eat more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I absolutely adore how your mini greek pies are presented. I often make a large one, which can be messy to cut into. You've inspired me to make smaller versions in the near future. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks utterly gorgeous! I've just had my lunch, but this is making me hungry again! I've just replied to a post you submitted on my Easter cupcakes blog, if there's anything you want to ask regarding cupcake decoration or anything like that you could always email me at misscakeaholic@hotmail.co.uk or like me on facebook and message me on there? I don't think there's an email function on here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Great idea and sure are really delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...