Monday 13 February 2012

Nutella Brioche and Butter Pudding



I first made this dessert by mistake, at the humble age of 11 or so. Back in the first few years of senior school I was lucky enough to have Food Technology lessons; we shared kitchens in pairs and got to eat everything we made. Obviously I didn’t realise how great they were at the time, but in hind sight, and in the knowledge of how difficult it is to find evening cookery courses (that aren’t either too academic, extortionately priced, or about cupcakes) I really wish I had made the most of them. Each week we were given an ingredients list for the following lessons recipe, and each week I would lose it in the bottom of my satchel until around about 5 pm the night before said lesson. On one such occasion the only kind of bread available in the grocery shop down the road was brioche… and so the Brioche and Butter Pudding was born. 

I remember Mrs Grist, the scary FT teacher, being infinitely impressed with my (read my mums) cleverness at substituting brioche for bread, and this happy accident became a firm favourite in my household.


The sweetness that the brioche brings to the pudding is complimented by a generous amount of Nutella, which melts all over the bread. Delicious. So quick and simple to make, I serve mine with double cream, custard or ice cream.

Serves 4 to 6
Loaf of Brioche, sliced and cut into triangles
Lots of Nutella
1 egg
half a pint of milk
1 tbsp caster sugar
handful of raisins
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Spread the Nutella on each slice of brioche and arrange in a greased tin or pyrex dish, sprinkling over raisins on each layer. 
  2. Mix the milk and sugar, then add the egg and beat until all mixed together. Pour mixture over the brioche, ensuring that the bread is soaked with the liquid. Cook in the oven for half an hour, until the pudding is nicely browned on top.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious!
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks!! Happy Valentines to you too!! x

      Delete
  2. Yum. I am addicted to Nutella, so this is just... heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I hope you're having a nice Valentine's day.

      Delete
    2. Note no set Nutella measures, you can put as much on as you like (I may have used half a jar...!!). Wishing a very Happy Valentines Day to you too!! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...