Sunday 17 July 2011

Afghan Yoghurt Chicken Curry


I’M BACK! Well, I’ve actually been back for nearly a week but haven’t really had a chance to update the blog. Turkey was wonderful, and I have lots of lovely foodie photo’s to show you, and a couple of recipes that I picked up to share, but I’m afraid they will have to wait a little longer. I also have a proper camera now (I’ve gone photographing mad), and am planning a bit of an overhaul of the blog, so expect a few changes around here in the near future.

In the mean time, I wanted to share with you this delicious yoghurt based curry that I made during the week. Another of Gizzi Erskine’s, the curry is massively flavoursome, and the large dollop of Greek yoghurt added, which curdles slightly during simmering, makes the sauce deliciously thick. The addition of half a green chili adds heat but is not overpowering, thanks to the yoghurt, and all the different flavours shine through together. Fresh mint in a curry is a revelation for me, and it works so well. My new favourite curry.


From Gizzi’s Kitchen Magic (I’ve basically just halved the quantities)
Serves 2
½ tbsp vegetable oil
4 chicken thigh fillets, skins removed, and chopped into 4 pieces each
½ onion, peeled and chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped finely
½ green chili, finely chopped
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
2 crushed cardamom pods
250g Greek yoghurt
handful of fresh coriander, chopped
handful of fresh mint, chopped
  1. Heat the oil in a deep pan which has a lid. Brown the chicken, then remove from the pan and set aside. In the remaining fat in the pan cook the onion over a low heat for 8 minutes, until softened, then add the garlic and chili for a minute.
  2. Add the spices and toast over the low heat for a minute, before adding the yoghurt, chicken and a splash of water.
  3. Stir and add the fresh chopped herbs and a little salt and pepper. Stir and cover with the lid. Leave to gently simmer for 20 minutes over a low heat, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
  4. Serve with rice.
Culinary Know How: FRESHER
Budget: UNDER £4
Kitchen Requirements: LARGE PAN WITH LID.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back! I look forward to your reading and salivating over your eating adventure in Turkey!
    The chicken curry looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...