Friday 27 May 2011

Basil Pesto


I went through a phase of hating pesto with a passion. I know, I was young and foolish, I just really disliked that funny taste that pine nuts sometimes leave at the back of your throat, kind of like what I imagine you would taste if you’ve just eaten a roll of kitchen paper. However, I got past this and now enjoy the garlicky goodness of pesto regularly with pasta. I’ve been wanting to make my own pesto for a while now but have never really got round to it, making do with the jarred varieties. Well I can tell you now, those jarred pestos really don’t cut it when you’ve made your own. If you have an electric mixer then this is a doddle. Just throw everything in, whiz it up and serve with your favourite pasta. Simple As.


Serves 2 greedy students
1 supermarket packet of fresh basil leaves, torn
25g parmigiano reggiano (you can use parmesan but this is much cheaper)
1 small clove garlic, peeled
25ml olive oil
25ml extra virgin olive oil
a handful of pine nuts
  1. Whiz all the ingredients in an electric mixer, until you have fine paste.
  2. Cook your pasta according to manufacturers instructions, and just before draining add a couple of spoonfuls of the water to the pesto, to make it more of a runny sauce.
  3. Drain the pasta and stir in the pesto
Culinary Know How: FRESHER
Budget: UNDER £2
Kitchen Requirements: ELECTRIC MIXER, SAUCEPAN.

2 comments:

  1. Alex, this looks gorgeous. I've come to like and trust your recipes, so I've added this one to my "must do" list. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic. I add basil to everything and I absolutely love basil pesto. This is going to make a great dinner. Thanks for the recipe :) - Cathy Pieroz at Ray White Alexandra Hills

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...