Saturday 22 January 2011

Salmon Fishcakes


I always wish that I ate more fish, but I tend to find it expensive and I really don’t know what to do with it. This Nigella recipe was very simple to make, apart from my tin opener breaking at just the wrong moment, and I now have enough fishcakes to last me for a good few weeks. The best thing about this option is that you can make them ahead and they only take a few minutes to fry, making them perfect for those nights when you really can’t be bothered to cook. I served mine with peas and scalloped potatoes, and although they might look a little charred in the picture, they tasted delicious.


Adapted from Nigella Bites
Makes 9 cakes
For the cakes:
500g cold mashed potatoes
400g tinned salmon
good pinch cayenne pepper
grated zest ½ lemon
1 egg
For the coating:
2 eggs
200g breadcrumbs
50g unsalted butter
2 tbsp vegetable oil
  1. Mix the cake ingredients together in a bowl. Form into patties and place on a baking sheet covered with cling film. Stand in fridge for at least 20 minutes.
  2. Beat the eggs in a bowl, and put the breadcrumbs in another. Dip the cakes in the egg and then the breadcrumbs to coat.
  3. Put oil and butter in a large pan, and fry the fishcakes until they are golden brown on the outside and heated through on the inside.

Culinary Know How: FRESHER
Budget: UNDER £5
Kitchen Requirements: BAKING TRAY, MIXING BOWL AND LARGE PAN. I USED AN ELECTRIC MIXER TO MAKE THE BREADCRUMBS, BUT YOU CAN DO THIS BY HAND.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...